Root Canal Dentist / Endodontics
Everyone is concerned about a dentist recommending a Root Canal. Here is a detailed description of everything one should know about the root canal.
What is a Root Canal?
“Root canal” is a single term referring to two things. First, it is a part of the tooth containing nerve tissues, blood vessels, and pulp or tissues. Second, it is a term used for a cavity present inside of the tooth.
Root canal therapy (endodontic therapy) is used to remove infections from the tooth. This procedure removes the decayed pulp, followed by cleaning and fixing it. Our doctor has advanced training and addresses your comfort during these procedures.
What Causes the Infection that Requires a Root Canal (Endodontics Therapy)
Common causes include:
- tooth decay
- repeated dental procedures on the tooth
- Crack in the tooth
The requirement for a root canal is not identified solely by some pain in the teeth. A dental checkup is required after the following signs:
- Pain in the teeth
- Swelling in the tissues
- Sensitivity to hot or cold
- Discoloration of tooth
This treatment is performed by Dr. Bao Nguyen. He has more experience with root canal treatments than other local dentists. He has performed this procedure 1000s of times. Before initiating the root canal, Dr. Bao examines the infections by taking x-rays and doing a complete intra-oral exam including pulp tests. He checks the shape as well as the size of the root canal through a variety of criteria.
- At first, the patient is given local anesthesia to numb the damaged area of the tooth. An access hole is made into the tooth. A rubber dam is attached. The dam helps to isolate the tooth under treatment making the area free saliva.
- After the rubber dam, the decayed pulp along with the bacteria and everything else is removed. This step is the cleaning step.
- Now that the infections are eliminated, the next step is to fill that hollow area. Then the area is sealed using sealing materials.
- The tooth becomes weaker than before because of the absence of pulp. The pulp’s function was to provide nourishment and protection for the tooth. To fulfill that requirement, a crown (a tooth-shaped cap) is placed over the remaining tooth. Crowns help to maintain the shape, strength, and protection of the tooth.
When is Root Canal Therapy Necessary?
When the pulp is damaged, and bacteria enter it, it cannot cure itself. As a result, the tissue in the pulp dies. Bacteria spread and destroy the pulp. Without treatment, infections reach the bone. Decay would loosen and weaken the tooth resulting in severe pain.
If the treatment is not done on time, the tooth cannot be repaired. In this case, the natural tooth cannot be saved. The extraction of the tooth is the only option. The best choice is to get root canal therapy on time.
Benefits Of “Root Canal Therapy” Over Extraction
There are many reasons that root canals are a better choice than a tooth extraction.
– First and the most critical, root canal therapy saves the natural tooth. Extraction involves its replacement. The root canal removes the infections and pain altogether. You can continue enjoying the food you love, your natural smile, etc.
- Root canals cause less pain compared to extraction.
- Root canals takes less time.
- Extraction costs far more than rooth canals. You will need a replacement for your natural tooth to fill the missing space. These are very costly.
- Extraction leaves you with weak teeth and problems in chewing.
No other treatment can replace root canal therapy in terms of the benefits offered.
To prevent these infections, one should:
- Brush their teeth morning and bedtime every day.
- Use a toothbrush and toothpaste as preferred by your dentist.
- Changing toothbrushs on a regular time interval.
- Get regular dental checkups and teeth cleaning.
- Floss daily and whenever something gets stuck in between the teeth.
For more details on dental care or any oral surgery, call our office at (951) 412-0127. You can also refer to our website at http://promenadedentalcare.com. Our root canal dentist will make your procedure comfortable.